Subject: Re: Tasking
From: [email-masked] (robert hood)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 07:13:49 -0700 (PDT)

> 
> >Hi all,
> >I was using modeller while rendering frames in Layout. My question is:
> >To get the best response time in both(respectable render times and fast
> >screen updates) would getting a faster graphics card speed things up?
>
> I don't think a faster graphics card will help that much. Rendering is very
> CPU intensive if you turn on your CPU Monitor in NT you'll see its maxed out
> at 100% every second its rendering.

I would have to disagree with you slightly on that point.  A faster graphics
card does have impact.

You are correct in the fact that the actual rendering depends 99% on the
speed of you CPU, but if you are working interactively (in Modeler or
previewing a frame in Layout), a faster graphics card can help (and in some
cases, tremendously).

I have three machines I work on: A 486/33 (yes, kids, that's a 33MHz), a
100MHz DX4 notebook, and a 90MHz Pentium.  Both 486s have 8MB RAM.  I've used
four different video cards on the 486/33 -- Trident, Diamond Speedstar,
Paradise SVGA, and Paradise Accelerator -- and the hands-down winner
in the 800x600x256 arena is the Speedstar.  While I get incredible delays
in the interactivity with the other cards, the Speedstar gives me instant
response to my mouse movements.  And only the video cards have changed;  I
modified nothing else about the 486/33.

Yes, it can make a difference.

Regards,                      |||
Bob                         ^(===)^
-------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo--------------------------------------
Bob Hood            | The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the
                    | unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world
Work: 303-730-1324  | to himself.  Therefore all progress depends on the
Home: 303-980-8392  | unreasonable man.    -- George Bernard Shaw
[email-masked]    `-------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]           ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/bh/bhood/www/bhood.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
[email-masked] (robert hood) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]